There is a lack of information about knowledge, attitude and behavior regarding oral hygiene and dietary habits of adult patients attending dental clinical settings. Hypertension, diabetes, obesity and caries are increasing among different populations, resulting in the deterioration of the quality of life related to oral and general health.
Objectives: To involve second year dental students in assessing oral health knowledge, attitude, behavior, dietary habits and general health of dental patients, and screening for blood pressure, blood glucose level and obesity.
Participants and methods: A convenient sample of 652 adult subjects participated in the study. They were screened, and involved in an interviewer- led questionnaire, led by the students over the period of two successive academic years (2013- 2014) and (2014- 2015).
Results: Subjects with high blood pressure and /or blood glucose levels were more likely to disagree regarding the presence of a relation between general health and dental health [(r = -0.159, P-value <0.001) (r = -0.257, P-value <0.001) respectively]. Subjects with high BMI were less aware of the importance of using the tooth brush in prevention of gingival inflammation. The overall students’ satisfaction score was 71.5%. The practical part of the research had the highest satisfaction score (83.7%).Conclusions: There is scarcity of data regarding dental healthcare knowledge and attitudes in dental clinical settings. Additional clinical training for dental students would increase their willingness to play a preventive and educational role in the oral care of patients.
- Archana J. Sharda, Srinath Shetty. A comparative study of oral health knowledge, attitude and behaviour of non-medical,para-medical and medical students in Udaipur city, Rajasthan, India. Int J Dent Hygiene2010; 8: 101–109.
- Y. AlYousef, P. Damiano, K. Weber-Gasparoni, F. Qian, J. Murph and F. Nothwehr. Medical students’ child oral-health-related knowledge, practices and attitudes. Eur J Dent Educ. 2013; 17: 218–224
- Benoît Varenne, Poul Erik Petersen, Seydou Ouattara . Oral health behaviour of children and adults in urban and rural areas of Burkina Faso, Africa International Dental Journal 2006; 56 no. 2.
- Woelber JP, Bienas H, Fabry G, Silbernagel W, Giesler M, Tennert C, Stampf S,Ratka-Kr€uger P, Hellwig E. Oral hygiene-related self-efficacy as a predictor of oral hygiene behaviour: a prospective cohort study. J Clin Periodontol 2015; 42:142–149.
- Slaughter A, Evans LK. Culturally sensitive oral health educational materials for older African Americans. J Health Care Poor Underserved 2007; 18: 868–886.
- Yuen HK, Wiegand RE, Slate EH, Magruder KM, Salinas CF, London SD. Dental health knowledge in a group of Black adolescents living in rural South Carolina. J Allied Health 2008; 37: 15–21.
- Sheiham, A. Oral health, general health and quality of life. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2005; 83: 644-644.
- Petersen PE. The World Oral Health Report 2003: Continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century – the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme. Comm Dent Oral Epidemiol 2003; 32: 3-24.
- G. L. Borromeo, M. S. Ahmad, S. Buckley, M. Bozanic, A. Cao,M. Al-Dabbagh , A. Athale. Perception of Special Needs Dentistry education and practice amongst Australian dental auxiliary students. Eur J Dent Educ. 2017; 1–6.
- Ollikainen E, Saxlin T, Tervonen T, Suominen AL, Knuuttila M, Jula A, Yl€ostalo P. Association between periodontal condition and hypertension in a non-smoking population aged 30–49 years: results of the Health 2000 Survey in Finland. J Clin Periodontol 2014; 41: 1132–1138.
- Montebugnoli L, Servidio D, Miaton RA, Prati C, Tricoci P, Melloni C: Poor oral health is associated with coronary heart disease and elevated systemic inflammatory and haemostatic factors. J Clin Periodontol 2004; 31: 25–29.
- Buhlin K, Ma¨ntyla¨ P, Paju S, Peltola JS, Nieminen MS, Sinisalo J, Pussinen PJ.Periodontitis is associated with angiographically verified coronary artery disease. J Clin Periodontol 2011; 38: 1007–1014.
- C Sproat, Behesti S, Harwood A.N., et al. “Should we screen for hypertension in general dental practice?”. British Dental Journal 2009; 207: 257-277.
- Sikkerimath SB, DNSV R. “Study on the prevalence of hypertension in dental out-patient population”. Journal of Indian Academy of oral medicine and radiology 2010; 77- 80.
- Ramasamy C. “Protocol for hypertensive patient management in dental office- short communication”. International Journal of Medical Dentistry 2013; 3: 67-269.
- Hon K. Yuen, William K. Mountford, Kathryn M. Magruder, Dipankar Bandyopadhyay, Pemra L. Hudson, Lisa M. Summerlin, Carlos F. Salinas. Adequacy of Oral Health Information for Patients with Diabetes. Journal of Public Health Dentistry 2009; 69.
- Ayse Basak Cinar, Ruth Freeman1 and Lone Schou. A new complementary approach for oral health and diabetes management: health coaching. 2017 FDI World Dental Federation International Dental Journal.
- Winning L, Patterson CC, Neville CE, Kee F, Linden GJ. Periodontitis and incident type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study. J Clin Periodontol 2017; 44: 266–274.
- Hegazi R, El- Gamal M, Abdel Hady N, Hamdy O. Epidemiology of and risk factors for type 2 Diabetes in Egypt. Ann Glob. Health 2015 Nov-Dec; 81(6):814-20.
- Bangash RY, Khan A, Rasheed D, Manzoor MA . “Diabetic patients; level of awareness about oral health knowledge, attitude and practices”. Pakistan Oral& Dental Journal 2011; 31.
- Simpson TC, Weldon JC, Worthington HV, Needleman I, Wild SH, Moles DR, Stevenson B, Furness S, Iheozor-Ejiofor Z. Treatment of periodontal disease for glycaemic control in people with diabetesmellitus. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 11. Art. No.: CD004714.
- George W. Taylor, Dana T. Graves and Ira B. Lamster. Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health: An Interprofessional Approach, First Edition. Edited by Ira B. Lamster. Published 2014 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Chapter6 /pages 121-141.
- BJ Garton, PJ Ford. Root caries and diabetes: risk assessing to improve oral and systemic health outcomes. .Australian Dental Journal 2012; 57: 114–122.
- Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM, Lalla E. A review of the evidence for pathogenic mechanisms that may link periodontitis and diabetes. J Clin Periodontol 2013; 40 (14): S113–S134.
- Sandberg, G. E., Sundberg, H. E., & Wikblad, K. F. A controlled study of oral self-care and self-perceived oral health in type 2 diabetic patients. Acta Odontologica 2001; 59(1): 28-33.
- Morgan R, Tsang J, Harrington N, Fook L. Survey of hospital doctors’ attitudes and knowledge of oral conditions in older patients. Postgrad Med Journal 2001; 77: 392–394.
- Sylvie Azogui-Lévy, Rosemary Dray-Spira. Sociodemographic factors associated with the dental health of persons with diabetes in France Spec Care Dentist 2012; 32(4): 142-149.
- Mirza, K. M., Khan, A. A., Ali, M. M., & Chaudhry, S. Oral health knowledge, attitude, and practices and sources of information for diabetic patients in Lahore, Pakistan. Diabetes Care 2007; 30: 3046-3047.
- Thomas Modéer, Cecilia C. Blomberg1, Biniyam Wondimu, Annika Julihn1 and Claude Marcus. Association between Obesity, Flow Rate of Whole Saliva, and Dental Caries in Adolescents obesity. Epidemiology 2010; 18 (12).
- Nascimento GG, Seerig LM, Vargas-Ferreira F, Correa FOB, Leite FRM, Demarco FF. Are obesity and overweight associated with gingivitis occurrence in Brazilian schoolchildren? J Clin Periodontol 2013; 40: 1072–1078.
- Dejan Markovic, D anijel Aristic, Vesna Vucic , Goran Mitrovic, Jelena Nikolic , Tamara Peric & Ivana Karadzic. Association between being overweight and oral health in Serbian school children. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2015; 25:409–417.
- Honne T , K Pentapati, N Kumar. “Relationship between obesity/overweight status, sugar consumption and dental caries among adolescents in South India”. International Journal of dental hygiene 2012; 10 : 240- 244.
- Rebecca Harris, Ana Gamboa, Yvonne Dailey, Angela Ashcroft. One-to-one dietary interventions undertaken in a dental setting to change dietary behaviour. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 3.
- Department of Health Dietary Reference Values for Food Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom, Report on Health and Social Subjects 1991; 97: 30-32
- Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. WHO Technical report series 916. World Health Organization 2003.
- Sheiham A., Watt R. A rational basis for promoting oral health. Comm Dent Oral Epidemiol 2000;28: 399-406.
- M. S. Ahmad, I. A. Razak, and G. L. Borromeo. Special Needs Dentistry: perception, attitudes and educational experience of Malaysian dental students. Eur J Dent Educ 2015 (19) 44–52.
- S. Goswami, T. Karaharju-Suvanto, M. Kaila, B. Tseveenjav. Community Health Centre-Based Outreach Clinic for undergraduate dental education: Experience In Helsinki over 8 years. Eur J Dent Educ. 2017; 1–9.
- Hair J, Anderson R, Tatham R and Black W.. Multivariate Data Analysis. NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall, Inc., 2006.